Book Quote Wall

This past summer, I was reading (and rereading) a lot of books. Some of them were old favorites (see Skye O’Shea series by Megan Shull), while other books were new favorites, or ones that just had a really good quote. As I was reading, I wrote down the quotes in a notebook and I realized that the all these amazing quotes would make a really fun display. I typed up the quotes, printed them on pink paper and covered a double door closet I have in my classroom with them. As I kept reading into the Fall (and keep finding more amazing quotes), the pink has spread beyond the closet doors and onto the cabinets.
I recently read a slew of running books (as inspiration for persisting with running in these cold, snowy days whose sun sets far too soon!). The number of great running quotes I found led me to make a separate running section headed by a poster taken from Runner’s World. The poster reads “It’s 5:30 am and there’s one place to be: Not in bed.” I love the poster not only for the runner relevance but also for the connection (and perhaps irony) that middle school students often get up by 5:30 in order to be ready to catch their bus.
The books I took quotes from range from picture books to YA literature to adult literature. Some of my favorite quotes out of these quotes include:

“It was tough – the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life. But it was the most fun I’ve ever had too. I feel like I’ve never felt before like I’m stronger – like I can fly.” -Megan Shull, Skye’s The Limit (Picking one quote from this book to include in this blog was very hard!)

“As happy as I was to see my parents again, the most prominent emotion I had at that moment was just overwhelming gratitude because he had stood at my side all these months keeping the faith even when he didn’t believe it himself.” -Polly Horvath, Everything On A Waffle

 “Remember then that there is only one important time, and that time is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side. For those, my dear boy, are the answers to what is most important in this world. This is why we are here.” –Jon J. Muth, The Three Questions

“Who, on their deathbed, ever said they wished they had worked harder? Or spent less time enjoying a quiet afternoon? Or spent less time with their family?” –Nicholas Sparks, The Guardian

“You don’t become a champion by winning a morning workout. The only true way is to marshal the ferocity of your ambition over the course of many days, weeks, months, and (if you could finally accept it) years. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials.” –John L. Parker, Jr., Once A Runner

I like to choose quotes for the wall that can be applied to situations beyond those in the book. A lot of the quotes are aimed at encouraging middle school students to keep trying, to be open to new experiences, and of course, to pique their interest in books. It is always fascinating to see what quotes students (and teachers) read aloud from the wall. When students express an interest in one of the quotes, I usually have a copy of that book in my classroom, which allows them to take the book and read it. Something I am interested in trying is having students add their own quotes from their favorite books to the wall as a means of recommending books to fellow students.

Follow by Email

Back to Top