Classroom Management: Use a Sticky

On my last post about classroom management I described the more technical details of the system as well as background on how the system was shaped. This time I want to share the more fun stuff, or the things I added in more detail. I'll be sharing different aspects over the next week.

The first one I'll share is "Use a Sticky".

This is something my cooperative teacher used during student teaching. I wasn’t 100% of the logic behind it. It was one of those things that ‘just was’ in the classroom. The students when they had a question during guided reading or another time where the teacher or I were working with a small group of students would write their question on a sticky and leave it by the teacher. Now, I realize the beauty of this. How many times have you been mid-thought and discussion with students only to have another student interrupt? Very frustrating!

Now when I am working with a student or students, I have the other students write their question on a sticky (I like to use the small mini ones for this). This will definitely be a process because the first time I tried this, my students gave me a sticky that said “I have a question.” Next week, I’m going to begin ignoring those types of stickies and only respond if they write the actual question on the sticky to phase out this behavior.

Follow by Email

Back to Top