Five For Friday!



There was a moment this week when I forgot what day of the week it was. I also forgot what day of the month it was. And I almost forgot what month it was. I knew it was June, July, or August, but I wasn't quite sure which one! I wish I were joking but I’m not. (Okay I knew it was July, but not the date or day!)

Which is why it is very handy I happened to purchase a new planner for next year! Although like most teachers I love the scent of new colored pencils and crayons, I think that love is reserved for the very end of August. So I definitely surprised myself by picking out this planner. But it was too good to pass up!

First, it had the most beautiful cover: Blue with pink flowers. In the past my planners have been pretty basic: blue, black, red.
Second, it was made by a company I have used before and I like how they set up the calendar with a monthly page as well as weekly pages. The weekly pages have enough space to write down due dates, meetings, and other planning logistics.
It also has tabbed months which make it easier to find the page you want.


Speaking of shopping, I love a sale and recently bought some lovely gems from Old Navy and Binna Republic when they were having some crazy Fourth of July sales. Included are these adorable tank tops:
 The one on the left is from Banana Republic and after 40% was taken off the sale price it was only $15. The Run Rest Repeat one on the right was from Old Navy. I've already worn both, a sure sign that they’ll get good wear.



Then I realized I’m not going to be paid again until sometime in September. So after paying my credit card bill and adding up how much money I’ll need to pay other bills, I came up with how much money I can spend until then. I divided it by week, then by day. It’s actually kind of refreshing to know ‘Okay, I can only spend $X amount.’  There isn’t that nerve racking feeling of ‘Oh, I really shouldn’t be buying this, but oh well, I will anyways. I’ll pay the bill later.” It is quite frankly a relief not to have to think about how much I am spending because I know I can only spend so much. It has also made me a creative shopper.
I recently took a trip to the fabric store where I bought nada because I didn’t bring any money with me! Seriously try it: Go to a store you love but don’t bring any money at all. Just enjoy browsing. It helped that I was with my sister who was buying things so I was able to help her shop which reinforced the idea that I would love to be a personal shopper. But anyways, getting sidetracked. While there I saw lots of beautiful fabrics, and ribbons, and (fake) flowers. 
And it reminded me that in the spring I bought some fabric there with the intent to make some tank tops and a skirt and never did. I now have something to add to my summer bucket list:  Make clothes.

I’m at the end of week 4 in marathon training and it feels, pretty good. I don’t want to say awesome because I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m to 14 miles on my long run and I think I’ll be able to keep building my running base. It honestly, more than the physical exertion, is mental stamina. At the end of my 14 miler last week I was dying! Then I checked my Nike App and saw I only had .1 of a mile left to go! My pace suddenly jumped to 8:30! It wasn't the physical ability to run, but the mental exhaustion and (maybe a little) boredom. And I realize one of the keys to my long runs is to spice it up. Run for a bit on a trail, then into a random neighborhood, then through a busy part of town so you’ll be embarrassed to stop. Each week I’ll have to figure out ways to add surprises and interesting bits.  It’s all a mental game I play. Running is 40% physical and 100% mental.

And I’ll leave you with this gem. Happy Summer!




Follow by Email

Back to Top