Five for Friday with Positive Polly!


So in my last post, I felt like I was a little negative. I turned my lovely Farley Currently post which only comes once a month into a long list of items that were stressing me out. So! For this Five for Friday post (my first in a while! yea!) , I am going to choose five things in my life that  am grateful for and turn to Positive Polly instead of Negative Nancy. Cue Josh Groban's "Thankful".

Marathon training. I am at the end of week 11 (only 38 more days till race day!) and am running my marathon at the end of week 16. I am very excited and very grateful I have been been able to follow my training plan as closely as I have (and I have yet to get seriously get injured) despite starting a new job. I know that's not me alone getting these runs done injure free after working all day!  Thank you!


My wonderful job. I work in a wonderful school with awesome, collaborative colleagues in a fabulous district. Seriously I do. Sometimes I get caught up in the nitty gritty and I forget all the awesome things that make my job so much easier and so much better that I sadly take them for granted. Today I met with my mentor and we had a awesome, supportive conversation about classroom management. I also spent time this morning collaboratively planning with the librarian and the ideas were rolling - it felt awesome! I also got to touch base with  my teacher evaluation evaluator today and it helped me feel grounded. Thank you!


 My lovely family. They are supportive and kind and loving and always give me a place where I can forget about all my small worries and just be. Being with them, I relax and laugh. Thank you!


Surprise Treats! This morning the principal came over the intercom and announced that she had put snacks in the office kitchen - she knew we were tired from the Open House and we deserved a treat. When she said "coffee and treats" I assumed pastries and donuts. When I headed over I was happily surprised to find banana's, granola bars, and (okay, these are candy) Hershey's Kisses. I was happily surprised to find the healthy treats! It says something about the school's values and culture that as a treat they provide healthy snacks for us - that way we don't have to spend all of our energy resisting sweets and instead are given energy through healthy snacks! Thank you!


My own education. I recently read an article that was a tribute to my junior year English teacher. He had retired after 45+ years of teaching and the words in the article just struck me - I was so lucky to go to the high school I did where there was such a close, caring community that taught their students with loving rigor.Here are some of my favorite quotes from the article: 
"'Where does it come from? I don't know. It takes 17 muscles to smile and 140 to frown and I'm just kind of a lazy guy,' he said."
'"Three things I believe in. My family, my faith and St. Bernard,' Lamoureux said. 'Those are the three things that make up my life. St. Bernard is my life, my heart and my soul. Years from now they'll be saying 'Art who?' St. Bernard, I hope, goes on forever. It's got a message. It's got a reason for being.' 
"He bleeds red and gray. That's something those of us who have been there more than 30 years really understand. We have a passion and a love for the school that I don't know if others outside it truly understand."
Thank you!


Happy Thankful Friday!


Follow by Email

Back to Top