Five For Friday







My second grade students used Storybird two weeks ago to collaboratively write their own stories. I have used this website with older students before but never early elementary and I wasn't sure how it would go. The students LOVED it! We started by writing a short picture book as a class modeling how to share ideas and take turns. Then the students partnered up to write their own stories. To see the collaboration that occurred and to hear the conversations and creativity they were having? I was blown away. Next year this is definitely a lesson I'd move to the beginning of the year because it's a great opportunity for them to practice their creativity and  collaboration skills with technology. 
This week the students researched to find the  three most important facts about internet safety and  digital citizenship that they think first graders should know. Next week they are going to be creating a presentation to share with the first graders. This is one of their last culminating inquiry projects for the year. ONLY FOUR MORE WEEKS! Where did the time go??


My first graders finished their assessments for my SLO and I am so proud of them! They are did such an awesome job and worked so hard on it! Thinking back to the pre-test it's amazing to think how they have improved in their tech skills. One example is in September I had to login in their computers to PebbleGo, now they just get on and log-in themselves - this is a HUGE timesaver and never a skill I had thought too much about before this year!
And since my end of the year meeting is approaching at the end of May and I have been entering and analyzing student data like crazy! I actually LOVE to make a great spreadsheet analyzing student growth. It's weird. I know. 


Last Thursday I saw Pitch Perfect 2. If you know how big of a Pitch Perfect fan I am, you know this is a huge deal! One of the neatest parts was seeing it a day before the official release. I wasn't completely sold until the end with the flashlights. But I'll stop there. Just trust me. Wait till the ending.






 I went to NYC this past weekend and it was AMAZING! Highlights included visiting the Central Park Zoo, going to FAO Schwarz (it's closing in July!), Momofuku Milk Bar (for Karlie's Kookies!), an underground Whole Foods (THAT was an experience!), touring the Museum of Natural History and finished with dinner in Grand Central Station. By the end of the day I had walked 15.5 miles! My legs were exhausted but it was such a great experience especially since it was only the second time I had been in NYC!

I discovered a tech filled blog I have to share. On Twitter (@teachvoacious) @alwayscomputing started to follow me. When I went to his page, he had a link to his blog. It is one of the best tech teacher blogs I have read.
1) It centers around elementary age students, including K-2.
2) It has great ideas that I'm itching to try in my own classroom.
3) It reassures me that kids struggling to log-in at the beginning of the year is normal but also shows how capable the students become as they get older and the year goes on.


Follow by Email

Back to Top