Five for Friday with My Favorite Subject



I somehow never linked up to the rest of the Teacher Week link up at Blog Hoppin'. 
I had great intentions to take TONS of pictures of my classroom because I was so excited about how it all turned out. Well Wednesday I got to work at 6:40 and left at 5. It was a looonnnggg day! I think I sat down for literally ten minutes during the day and couldn't wait for the staff meeting because it meant I got to sit down and someone else was in charge! 
Then Thursday was our Open House. Which was awesome sauce.
(Pre-open house selfie checking to make sure I looked presentable). 

I loved getting to meet all the parents and see older siblings and getting to have the students introduce me to their families. 
But it meant I got home at around 7 and STILL had to do a 6.5 mile run. So yep. No Sanity Savers either. Even though I had a really awesome one with how I prep my clothes for the week. Oh well.
Let's just skip to TODAY! And our favorite subject!

When I first saw this link up I thought it meant your favorite subject in general, to which I said: Favorite subject is by far history. I love a lot of other topics like creative writing and biology and philosophy but history I love all of it, not just bits and pieces of the discipline. Which is why I have my B.A. in History! It's a VERY helpful degree to have as a Pre-K to grade 2 technology teacher...okay not at all. But I still am glad I have the degree. Like yes - I am a certified teacher with my M.S. in Educational Technology! But I also have a history degree! It's almost like a secret power or something. Okay I'm officially rambling now. 
But then I realized it's your favorite subject to TEACH (I'm telling you, I am TIRED!). So that would be technology. For evidence, see number quatro. Although I'd love to teach history. Someday.


Got this delivered to my house after work (even though I SWEAR I put in my work address when I ordered it - sigh. Apparently I'm overtired). This will become a part of my Calm Kit which I'll hopefully have implemented starting next week! 

This week I really loved my lessons for my classes. They all achieved the same objective (Creating class rules and choosing one to look at more closely) but each grade did it in a slightly different way.

They all began by brainstorming ways they can follow our three school rules during media: Take care of ourselves, Take care of others, Take care of our school.

Then I introduced them to how they would earn points on Class Dojo (based on these three rules) and asked them if they wanted to join the 500 Points Club. Which is something I made up in the Eleventh Hour right before my first class came on Wednesday.
But they loved it. They all wanted to join the club. I like it because it's collective and not a competition between students or between classes. There are only three spots because I have three AM classes and three PM classes each day.

Then Kindergarten kiddos chose one idea and drew it on Lucas' Whiteboard, a Google extension that is super basic coloring website and great for kindergartners.

First Graders also chose one idea and used the same website they did last week, A Web Whiteboard(AWW), but this time the focus was on typing the idea first then drawing a picture to demonstrate it. 

Second graders did something different though. After much thought, I just didn't feel right with having the second graders using the AWW site. For the first graders, I want them to practice typing but for second graders, I decided instead I wanted them to have a chance to move. I decided to have them create tableau's in small groups then they would have a group photographer take a picture to share with the rest of the class. 
This site helped me figure out the details when I thought of the idea the morning of my new lesson cycle. I had four students per group and each group got one planning sheet, and one iPad, which they used to take the picture.

I was a little nervous to have the students do a collaborative project like this only two weeks into the year but it went pretty well! The kiddos loved it, were really focused on creating the tableau, and were super excited to use the iPads. 

 I know I have a five. Really. Oh! I know! A teacher saw my posters and signs and asked me to create a Weekly Wrap Up sheet for her. I created 8 versions and ultimately she chose this one. 


Happy Friday and Happy Labor Day Weekend!!


Follow by Email

Back to Top