Spring Classroom Management Strategies

Over spring vacation I knew I had to do something for the end of the year for behavior. Since this is my first year teaching K I was a little stumped. I decided to create two new behavior incentives for the end of the year: Sticker Cards and a Secret Star Student, as well as one more informal strategy.

Everyday, I select someone to be the Secret Star Student of the Day. It's a secret all day long, until the end of the day, when if they are a role model student, they get their name announced and they receive a special brag tag. My favorite part of this is when the other students cheer when the students name is announced.

With the sticker cards, each student gets a sticker card starting at red. I attach a page of stickers to my lanyard and when students are doing the right thing {I'm focusing A LOT on following directions right now}, they get a sticker. You got your book bin and are set up for private reading? Sticker! I asked you to sit at your table after coming in from lunch and you did? Sticker! It really helps me ignore the misbehavior and focus on the positive behavior. When I do this, I find it decreases the negative behavior because a) they want a sticker; and b) they don't get attention for the misbehavior and their classmates are less motivated to join in because they want a sticker! After they have filled up their sticker cards, they get to trade them in at the end of the day for a new card and for a reward. I keep track on a chart when they trade it in and what for. I have a list of items they can trade the cards in for {yes, this list was made by me. I thought of a variety of things my students have expressed interest in over the year and then decided what works for me. I know, selfish end of the year teacher.} After the student has traded in their card, once they have received their reward, I highlight it that way I know it's done.

Something else I've been doing that's a little less formal is having them echo my directions. I started this after last week at the end of Readers Workshop, I did our typical clean up signals and a minute later looked around and NO ONE (okay maybe like 3 kids) was cleaning up. So now after I give the direction, I ask them, what did I say? And they repeat it back to me. Because sometimes they genuinely don't hear. And sometimes they THINK they hear, but they end up doing something different then I instructed. This helps them process the directions and it helps the "non-listeners" hear the direction multiple times from me and their classmates.

Here's to managing the end of the year wiggles!


Follow by Email

Back to Top